Monday, August 24, 2009

Our Babymoon!

"BABYMOON"

You may or may not have heard this term. It seems to be relatively new, but not sure how common it is yet. Essentially it is a couple's last vacation without children. Jim and I went on our Babymoon this past weekend.

A co-worker recommended a Bed and Breakfast in Cambria called the Olallieberry Inn. I checked it out online and it looked perfect.



A cute little old house about 100 years old.



This was our bedroom.

We had a private bathroom, but it was down the hall a few feet. I didn't think that would be an issue, but I would think twice about it in the future.


Here's the courtyard in the back.

The breakfast area was very nice. Breakfast was served in two shifts. I realized how much I like the structure of designated meal times. Jim and I have stayed in a few B&Bs and I think the majority have left us on our own to eat when we wanted. but his way you were guaranteed to meet other people staying there. This can be a pro or a con depending on who you are. But the people we met were truly a delight and we enjoyed the conversation. There was another pregnant girl there who just charming. I would have liked to have more time to get to know her. She and her husband were from the L.A. area.

In the evening the room was converted for happy hour. Our first night was held outside, but I think it got so cool and rain-threatened that it was moved inside for our second night. They basically just serve light appetizers and some wine. Many of the guests had gone wine tasting that day, so they shared their adventures and passed around the wine they had purchased.


Here is the back porch.

I had read about a place called Nit Wit Ridge. When we saw a sign for it, we decided to explore. It was right of the main street which led to our B&B. It's a house that was built using materials found in the area. I read they give tours, but the whole place was closed off by a chain link fence, so I'm not sure what the status is today.


Friday night after dinner at the Sea Chest, we went for a nice stroll along the seaside cliffs.

Unfortunately my bladder kept us from going to0 far.

But it was really nice to sit on a bench for a while and just relax. Something Jim and I both really needed.

Saturday we took a tour at Hearst Castle. Jim has been there many times, but I haven't been since I was an early teenager (or so).

Our tour guide was Steve Martin.

I was very impressed with the attentiveness of our second tour guide (who gathered up the rear of the group). Very early in the tour, she approached me and made sure I knew where I could sit down and that there would be water available during the tour. I told her I might need a bathroom at some point and she said to just let her know and she would help me out. When our tour stopped near a water fountain, she made sure I knew it was there. Then in one of the rooms of the main house which was extremely warm, she checked in with me to make sure I was okay. I was just really impressed with that kind of treatment.

Jim and the Neptune pool.


The front of the main house.

The Roman pool.

Our route home kept alive the Campbell tradition along Santa Maria Creek Road. It's a nice windy road that Jim just loves to drive. Once again my bladder made itself known and I held on for dear life as I tried to cushion all the turns and bumps.


All in all it was a nice trip and we are so glad we were able to do it. Travelling will be so different once our little one arrives.

1 comment:

Dad said...

The bed at the B&B looks to be about a half a mile WIDE !!