Thursday, August 27, 2009

Elective Ultrasound

I wanted to give my mom the opportunity to experience an ultrasound. Jim has been so great about coming to all my doctor appointments and ultrasounds so I never needed to ask my mom to be a stand-in. But I did think she would enjoy an ultrasound. So I looked into getting an elective ultrasound (not through my doctor).

I mentioned it to my mom and let it sink in for a while. She let me know she would like to do it and thought my dad would be interested too. I figured Jim would want to go too.

So we piled in and headed down there.

It was a nice big room with a huge flat panel screen across from me. So I didn't have to crane my neck to see the little computer monitor and the rest of the audience had a good view too.

It was interesting how different this procedure went from the medical ones. The technician had me moving into all sorts of positions to try to get the baby to move, or try to move the umbilical cord or get more space between Joshua and the placenta. She would also poke at my belly a lot to try to stimulate something.

The main problem we had was that Joshua was pressed up against the placenta as if it were a pillow. So once again we had a tough time getting good pictures. There were a few decent ones and it was a fun experience.


Here's our boy.

His mouth is open a little bit here.


I love this because he's sticking out his tongue.

The big blob extending from his nose is the placenta.

And the lovely profile shot.

No comments: