Friday, September 25, 2009

My Last Week of Work

This was my last week of work. It has felt like a long road to get here. It has taken a lot of time, a lot of training and a lot of procedure writing. I have not had anyone trained to back up my job for years. There has been lots of talk about it, but just never worked out to find the right solution or person to back me up. Luckily we were able to identify someone who I think is going to work out great. She’s had to absorb a lot of information in a short amount of time and she has handled it as well as (if not better than) is to be expected.

The fun kink that got added to my last week of work was that I was on-call for jury duty. I’ve only been summoned for jury duty once before and I only had to call in once and was dismissed immediately. This time I had to call in everyday to find out. And this wasn’t even calling in at night to find out if I was to report the next day. No. I had to call in at 11:00 am to see if I was to report at 12:30 the same day. Oh joy! So there was this constant threat of having to miss some time from work during my last week. I always figured that once I rolled my big belly in there that they would let me roll right out, so I wasn’t worried about getting stuck on a jury. I don’t think they would want to pause a trial every 30 minutes so I could visit the little girls’ room. But I never even had to report, so that was a relief.

But I think everything got lined up at work as well as it could amidst lots of curve balls. I received a nice little send off and was ready to leave. The last week or two my body has really struggled being at work all day. It will be weird and interesting to be home. I’ve been working normal, full-time office jobs since I was 19 or 20. I haven’t been home for even one week straight since then. Will I get bored? Restless? Start nesting? I’m hoping to have at least two good weeks at home before little Joshua decides he’s ready to get out. I’ll probably go back to work towards the end of January.

No comments: