Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I think it's called "Winter"

I've been fighting a cold all week and feeling pretty lousy. Even though I laid pretty low over the weekend, I just couldn't get better. I finally decided to stay home from work today, rest and maybe get some work done as well. I drank a couple mugs of hot cider to pacify my yucky chest and cuddled with my kitties.

We had a pretty good storm system move through this past weekend and the second system made its way to us today. Now, I personally LOVE the rain. The biggest flaw of where I live is the low ratio of rainy to sunny days. I love the smell of rain. I love driving in the rain. I love how beautiful the snowy mountains look after a rain - which, by the way, did not disappoint yesterday! Today's storm was almost constant rain all day and lots of blustery wind.

Just before one o'clock today I laid down for a nap. Sophie was already tucked beneath the covers and Bailey snuggled in once I was settled. The heater had been working hard to keep the house warm and I was aware of how quickly it was already turning back on as I closed my eyes. But then...it turned off. Very strange to have such a short spurt. At the same time, Bailey kinda jumped up and I thought I heard a beep from the office. I looked at our cable box and the lights were off. I turned on my bedside lamp and it was a very dim brown and it was flickering. All the lights did this when I turned them on. But nothing else had power. We do tend to get occasional power outages at our house, but they never last long. I went to sleep expecting the power to have returned when I woke up.

Wrong.

AND, the house had cooled five degrees in the one hour I was asleep. The heater couldn't work and neither could my electric blanket. I called the electric company and they were aware of the problem but had no time estimate for when it would be fixed. I was freezing and it was only going to get worse. So I packed up and headed over to my parents' house so I could thaw out.

It wasn't until 9:00 pm that the power company finally said the issue was resolved. I called my answering machine to confirm, and sure enough, it answered me. So I headed home. However, when I got home there was a message from my mother-in-law at 7:30, so apparently the power had been on for at least a little while already.

I checked the house temperature and it had dipped to 60 degrees. That is way too cold for my little toes. I like the house at a nice toasty 70 degrees (or 68 when Jim is home).

But it's good to back home and warm.

No comments: