Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Fun With Dry Ice

I've been suffering the various stages of a cold for the greater part of the second half of December. It's a drag and I'm ready to be done with it. We hosted Christmas at our house this year and being sick wasn't in the plans, but I think I did a pretty good job of handing out a lot of the food responsibilities ahead of time, so there wasn't too much for me to do. Plus, the family of course jumped right in to relieve me of having to do too much. And Jim was a super-star in getting the house ready which is usually my biggest stress.

But even with the sickies it was a pretty nice Christmas and wonderful time spent with family.

One of the gifts I was most excited to receive came with an early notice. Around December 18th or so, we had a message on our machine saying that someone had given us the gift of Omaha Steaks and that they would be delivered on December 23rd. I have never had Omaha Steaks, but have heard they are good and Jim and I love to grill meat! So I was super excited and anxious for the 23rd to roll around. I later learned that my mom had received the same call. So we tried to guess who it could be from that would be giving to both of us. Jim eventually guessed that it was my sister, Susan, and that is indeed who they came from. Thanks, Sis!!

So the day of December 23rd arrived and I came home from work feeling icky but hoping Jim hadn't opened the steaks without me. Well, he hadn't even discovered them on the porch so we broke into it together. Once we made room in the freezer and stored it all away, Jim really started having fun.

You see, what we have here is a piece of dry ice. Dry ice is about 100 degrees below zero. Dat's pretttttyy c-c-c-cold! No TOUCHY!!!


Now, you put said dry ice in a bowl of water...


...and the fun really begins.


It's so simple, yet so fascinating at the same time.


Double, Double Toil and Trouble;


Fire burn, and caldron bubble.


heh heh heh...


We had lot's of dry ice and Boy Scout Jim said it couldn't be thrown in the trash.
So....
More Witches Brew!!!


We're so easy to amuse. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might I make a suggestion for your next dry ice experiment?

http://dangerouslyfun.com/dry-ice-bomb

(insert maniacl laughter here)

Shawnie said...

Yah, I think Jim's train buddies did this once. It exploded just as a cop drove by. Oops.