Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Life Interrupted, then Continues On...

Life the last two weeks has not been what I would have planned. I came down with a NASTY flu / cold thingy and it really knocked me off my feet. I'm still coughing and have a little stuffiness, but at least I am alive and kicking. The timing was horrible as my job gets busiest the first two weeks of every month, plus I had to finish up my web design class and Jim's birthday party is fast approaching.

But I did get an "A" in my web class with 420 points out of 425 possible for my final project. So that feels great!

Parents have been pitching in to help us get the house ready for the party and I don't know what we would do without them.

But the big update for today is my curtains. Jim and I have been struggling for months (almost a year, really) to find the perfect curtains for our living room. We have had lengthy discussions and down-right-foot-stomping-folded-arms sessions at JC Penney. Once we agreed on the "apparatus" style (rings with clips) it was becoming impossible to find the right fabric. So my mom and I finally took a friend's suggestion and headed to the fabric district of Los Angeles. I heard there was bartering/negotiating involved and that conjured up scarey images in my head. But once we were there it was not scarey at all. We looked and looked and looked and I was about to settle on a design when we walked into the right store and there my fabric was glimmering in the heavenly light surrounded by angels and harps. No second guessing - that was my fabric. And the guy at the store was very helpful in helping me pick out the right sheer to go behind it.

Since then Jim and I have hung the curtain rods and my mom has been dilligently sewing the fabric. Last night the all the planets aligned and the curtains are now beautifully hung.

Here are the curtains in the context of the room

This is a slight close-up of just the curtains.



You can see the clips and the detail.


And the rods and everything together.
Another fun hurdle to all of this was the massive size of our slider door. We needed rods that were 144". These are not easy to find especially in an appealing design. Thank the Lord for Lowe's! My curtains are up and all is right with the world!

2 comments:

Betty said...

The curtains look terrific. Kuddos to Deb for her sewing and to you for your excellent taste.
Betty

Anonymous said...

I love the curtains. Even though these pictures are fabulous...they look even better in person! I am so glad you found them before the big party:)