Thursday, June 19, 2008

2007 - Copays, Copays and Copays

January – The year started out with a really ugly case of the flu. My tummy is really upset and never really gets better. The call also comes from the general doc with the ultra sound results which reveal that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). This is why I have irregular cycles.

February - April – The “Voodoo” Doctor…now, I will try to describe what I mean by a “voodoo” doctor. This is the term I have come to use to refer to the chiropractor / naturalistic / homeopathic / etc kind of people that my parents have gone to for years. I can’t ever adequately explain what they do and that’s part of why I just say “voodoo”. I, too, have seen these kinds of “voodoo” people off and on at my parents’ suggestion and I do believe that their treatments can be helpful for some people; unfortunately I can’t say that I personally have had much success.

So I was resistant to the suggestion once again and this time my dad sat me down very seriously to urge me to go. Well, when a dad talks so earnestly, a daughter takes care to listen. I went to this doctor in February and she exuded confidence that she could help my tummy problems, my itching, and the conception process. By the time April rolled around, I had spent more money than I was happy about (as this was not covered by my insurance) and couldn’t point to one issue being improved. Too-da-loo Voodoo!

May
Alkaline Phospate: 631 [27-142]
AST/SGOT: 148 [1-45]
ALT (SGPT): 178 [1-55]

June – GI doc decides it is time to do a colonoscopy. This procedure results in the diagnosis of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) also known as Colitis. This month Jim and I also met with the OB-GYN for the first time. With the PCOS diagnosis, she puts me on Metformin which should help to regulate my cycles. This time the OB utters those favorite words of mine…“wait and see.”

July – With the IBD diagnosis, GI doc has me start taking Asacol. My body revolts! Just days after starting this medication I am in EXTREME pain and feeling really bad. I wimped out one night while helping a friend clean her newly bought house, and the next day had to cancel on two social plans (and I HATE cancelling!) Jim and I decide I need to go to the emergency room. They do x-rays and tests and all the fun stuff they do. The steroid prednisone is added to the mix to help the inflammation, vicodin (which I quickly come to LOVE!!) as needed for the pain and some sort of anti-nausea medicine – just in case all them other drugs make me feel nauseated. Don’t I feel like a walking pharmacy?!?!?

Alkaline Phospate: 683 [27-142]
AST/SGOT: 91 [1-45]
ALT (SGPT): 176 [1-55]

About a week after this hospital visit, Jim and I left for our big cross country road trip from California to Michigan and back – 18 days. It was full of adventures and while I didn’t feel my best, I wasn’t as bad as I feared I would be. Energy was one of the biggest factors, so we did some things a little slower, but I don’t think I ever had to not do something as a result of my puniness.

August – Had a follow up with GI doc and we adjusted some meds and did more blood tests. The numbers had come down quite a bit mostly due to the prednisone; but GI doc doesn’t like this medicine for long term.

Alkaline Phospate: 380 [27-142]
AST/SGOT: 74 [1-45]
ALT (SGPT): 116 [1-55]

September – The first follow up with OB. No change to my cycles. Give it more time.

December – We met with the OB again. My cycles have not regulated from the Metformin and obviously we haven’t gotten pregnant yet. Unfortunately the OB is uncomfortable with the “unknown liver issue” and doesn’t want to put me on Clomid until she gets comfortable with that. She strongly recommends I get a second opinion on my liver.

Alkaline Phospate: n/a
AST/SGOT: 223 [1-45]
ALT (SGPT): 299 [1-55]

No comments: