Sunday, June 8, 2008

2006 - Lots of Tests

January – Blood tests again – YAY! The results? Elevated liver functions (LFTs). One went up, two went down.

Alkaline Phospate: 239 [Normal range: 27-142]
AST/SGOT: 42 [Normal: 1-45]
ALT (SGPT): 77 [1-55]

I stopped taking the pill and any other medication for anything to try to cleanse my system of junk – including pain relievers – that might affect my liver. Pretty sure I cut back on the alcohol too; I can’t remember if I cut it out all together at this time.

April – Blood tests. LFTs skyrocketed up. Way up into the wild blue yonder.

Alkaline Phospate: 553 [27-142]
AST/SGOT: 97 [1-45]
ALT (SGPT): 215 [1-55]

GI doc says, well it can take a while for the birth control to flush out of your system. “Let’s wait and see” (these were to become my new favorite words) and do more blood tests in 3 months.

July / August – LFTs still up.

Alkaline Phospate: 611 [27-142]
AST/SGOT: 94 [1-45]
ALT (SGPT): 163 [1-55]

Time for a liver biopsy. The biopsy is an interesting procedure. I'm awake and they locally numb the area on my right side just below my ribs. One guy is watching through ultrasound while another sticks the needle (or whatever) in that numb area. He grabs a couple pieces of my liver and viola! It's done. Then I have to spend the rest of the day laying on my side to make sure I don't bleed to death (dont' you love the drama?! It's just means you get waited on hand and foot - YIPPEE!!) But all in all it's a pretty simple procedure, just not one you want to do very often.

The biopsy confirms that I have hepatitis. Now, hepatitis simply means “inflamed liver.” There are many different types of hepatitis. And lucky me, mine is of the “non-descript” (my next favorite words) variety. I ask if we can name it after me. :) GI doc doesn’t know how I got it. He says it may get worse, it may not. We’ll “wait and see” – there are those lovely words again.

September – Shortly after moving into our new house, hubby and I decide to officially start trying to have a baby. Jim was very emotionally moved by the death of Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter. He felt a strong wave of how precious life is and didn’t want to waste any more time. I think also finally being established in our house, it was like we finally had all our ducks in a row.

November / December – I haven’t had a period for a very long time. I am hopeful that I am pregnant and hope to be able to share the news with family at Thanksgiving. But pregnancy tests keep coming back negative and I don’t really feel I have pregnancy symptoms. I finally call my general doc, and he sends me for blood work which confirms I am not pregnant. The next step is to schedule for an ultra sound at the end of December. At some point in here I am also put on progesterone to kick start my cycle again. The day after Christmas, I have the ultra sound and I also started feeling pretty lousy by that evening.

No comments: