Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"Do the {clap, clap} Potty Dance..."

I have a son. I am a girl. So the "boy" potty thing is new for me.

Joshua has taken to potty training really well. We started his official training just before he turned 2 and had great success. I had heard that cloth diapers can help to get kids trained earlier, and while I don't know that is true across the board, I do want to believe it helped us. We are at the point where he only wears a Pull-Up at night and he wakes dry most of the time. We haven't had any daytime accidents in quite a while.

A couple weeks ago Josh started hinting at standing to go potty. I stood him in front of his training potty once, but he decided that wasn't for him. Then he wanted to be using the "big potty" more and more, even to the point where we now put a stool in front of it so he can climb up. Again, he would consider standing to pee, but then change his mind.

Several days ago he finally took the plunge (does that count as a pun?). Again, I'm a girl, so the technique is a little elusive to me. There was a little dribbling. But he did it! And really well. Since then he almost always stands. He likes to lift the lid and the seat. He understand the difference of the seat being up depending on sitting or standing. I'm thinking I should look for those potty targets to give him something to aim at.

His interest in standing simply came from observation. He has seen others do it and the planted seed has been growing. I love how he is just willing to try things like that.

No comments: