Sunday, October 19, 2008

Mystic

Saturday we drove about 2 hours east to Mystic Seaport Village. This is an area that is kind of frozen in time around the 1800s. It was a huge shipbuilding village It was kind of interesting to see how the village was built up around this industry. There were a couple of ships we could explore.

Here is just a nice shot across Mystic River. I think it's a nice display of the fall colors.


This lighthouse wasn't very tall, but the light could be seen by ships from ten miles away.


This was the church in the Mystic Seaport Village. Jim and I were having fun experimenting with the camera and its manual settings.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Mystic Pizza - from the movie - was something we could see. Apparently the town and the pizza place are what inspired the movie. A lot of it was shot on location. However, being in the pizza place, it looked like nothing of what I remembered from the movie. Although it had been a while since I had seen the movie, I thought I would recognize something. And they were playing the movie in the place and once Jim saw it, he agreed that it looked too different. We went to buy some souveniers and asked the lady at the counter if the pizza place was also shot on location. Long-story-short, she didn't really know any information we could count on. So we'll have to see if we can figure more out ourselves.



So, it was a full day, but we saw a lot of Connecticut and had a nice time.

2 comments:

Elizabeth B said...

I've been there! It was several years ago, so I don't remember much, but your pictures are beautiful. Was the movie "Mystic River" shot there as well?

Shawnie said...

I don't know if Mystic River was filmed there. We wondered the same thing.