Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fireproof

Jim and I went on a double date last night. It's been quite a while since we've been on a real date. Sure, we go out to dinner and that is always nice. But we got a little gussied up and had an official plan. After dinner at one of my favorite Italian restaurants - A'Roma - we went to the movies and saw Fireproof.

I didn't really know much about this movie. I knew it was a "Christian" movie and that Kirk Cameron was in it. People would reference "Facing the Giants" when talking about this movie, but I'd never seen that one, so the reference meant nothing to me. Once Fireproof came out all the people I heard talking about it said they really liked it. And only a couple days ago did I hear that the movie was about marriage.

Well, I really liked this movie. Yeah, the acting wasn't top notch, but the story was very real. It deals with a couple who have an unhappy marriage and are on the brink of divorce. Caleb's (Kirk Cameron) dad implores his son to hold off on divorce for 40 days while he does a Love Dare. The Love Dare is one day at a time of working on the marriage. The wife is not aware of the dare and she shuts him down a lot. Everything in the movie was relatable - the emotions, the reactions, the frustrations. What surprised me was the amount of laugh out loud humor. There was just enough mixed in to keep this movie from getting too heavy and depressing. The Christian story is brought in in a very effective way.

While this movie can be amazing for a couple that is struggling to see, even relationships that are doing pretty well can absorb a lot. It was a good movie.

No comments: