Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Oh, Canada!


Jim and I have returned from our relatively quick trip to Canada. My cousin Holly was married on Saturday and we were so excited to be able to be there for the event. Jim had met Holly very briefly the day after he proposed to me four years ago while she had a layover at LAX on her way home from (I think) Taiwan. On this trip he got to meet her twin sister Joy and their mother (my aunt) Sharon.

Thursday was a long travel day starting at 4am. UGH! We took a car to the airport – the plane to Seattle – a rental car to the ferry – the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria (ish) – and the car to the house. We finally arrived at the rehearsal dinner just after 6pm. It was nice to meet Holly’s fiancĂ©, Darcy, and the extended friends and family.

Friday we had a little family hike down to the beach. Then Jim and I went to Butchart Gardens which is simply beautiful. Great photo opportunities, but for some reason I was having little patience with my camera – maybe it had something to do with the blazing heat/humidity and lack of water.


Then we went to Joy and Geoff’s house where the twins were working on the wedding cake and other preparations. I helped a little with the frosting of cake and watched how to do the lattice work that looks so pretty on the outside of cakes. Here is the bride herself decorating the cake.


I also fell in love with Joy and Geoff’s two kids, Liam (6) and Nichole (4). They are beautiful children and a joy to be around. That little Nichole just charmed the pants off of me.

I decided I wanted to take home the following from Joy and Geoff’s: Their two kids. The two Siamese / Burmese cats Riley and Rio (sorry no pics of these beauties). And their two Adirondack chairs – Moooey comfie!!

Saturday was the big wedding day. It was a perfect day for a beach wedding and I think everything went well. The guests were heavily populated with big-deal cameras – it was quite amusing. I’m sure there will be bazillions of fantastic shots.



Sunday was just family time. We went to downtown Victoria where there was a Dragon Boat Race festival. What a hoot this was to see.

Jim, my mom and I took a tour of the Parliament building.



After dinner we all looked at wedding photos that we had taken.

Monday was another big travel day starting at 7am and ending at 10pm. But Jim and I were ahead of schedule all day so we took some detours and just enjoyed our time.

I may spend a couple of post in more detail on other stuff. But you can see tons of more pictures on my Flickr sight. Just click on the slideshow on this page and it will take you right to it.

No comments: