Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Overwhelmingness

Dr. K called yesterday. I like him. Have I mentioned that before? He asked how my weekend was. How nice is that? Yes, I like him. He said he had done some research and spoke with some people and now has the opinion that it will be okay for me to have fertility treatments. We’ll just need to monitor my liver closely which would involve blood tests every other week during the treatments and every month during pregnancy. He had already left a message for my OB-GYN.

I missed the OB’s call last night, but she left a message saying she was okay putting me on Clomid. She will be on vacation the next two weeks, but when I start my next period, I need to see her within the first five days.

What a complete transformation. Just a couple months ago I was feeling surrounded by dead-ends and closed doors. I was having a hard time holding on to the hope. And now I feel I have options. I have been doing a lot of reading and fact gathering and feel better equipped than I have throughout this process. Jim and I have a lot to talk about and decisions to make.

  • Are we sure we want to do Clomid? (I know, seems strange to be asking at this point)
  • Do we want to start it with my next cycle?
  • Do we want to do Clomid only?
  • Do we want to do Clomid with IUI?
  • Do we want to try IUI first without Clomid?
  • How many times do we do Clomid alone and then combine it with IUI?
  • When do we consider IVF?
  • Do we consider IVF?
  • ???????

As much as I feel overwhelmed by the options, I am grateful to have this kind of overwhelmingness (my new word I invented for today). At this point we probably will wait at least one more cycle before using Clomid. We want to have the ultrasound results and the endocrinologist’s blood test results before we make any definite decisions about anything. And it is likely that between our travel and the OB’s vacation, timing might be a little screwy any way.

God will provide.

No comments: