Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Potty Training - 11 Day Update

Training has continued to go great overall.

For some strange reason Josh has stopped just sitting on the potty on his own. So a couple hours will go by and I'll take him to the potty because it seems like he should need to go. And sure enough he does. I guess the good news is that he is successfully holding it for pretty good stretches.

The only accidents we continue to have are related to poop. It's like he doesn't understand the need to poop or maybe he's not comfortable telling us. Not really sure. Typically he will have peed in his shorts a little and then fusses to go poop. There have also just been some flat out accidents with poop ending up in undesirable places.

Where we are today is still having him go bare-bottomed as much as possible. And just shorts if we go out. He did wear a diaper for some church related stuff because other people were watching him and I didn't want to put that burden on them.

He does seem to be getting better about communicating the need to go potty when in situations such as sitting in a lap or high chair. He still gives a soft little "poop" and off we go.

Today had a truly amazing moment. I took him to work to have lunch with my girlfriends. I had a potty in the car just in case and really didn't know what to expect. After touring the building a little bit he started to get fussy and I wondered if he needed to go potty. So we made our way to the big-people bathroom and I sat him down. Josh seemed a little freaked out by that and just wanted to hug me. So I didn't push the issue.

About 45 minutes later while we were all eating I heard his "poop" and away we went. I took him to the same potty and we sat there a long time. There was a little trickle and then nothing. But when I tried to get him off the potty, he kept saying "poop". So we stayed. My patience paid off because sure enough he went poop! Then a lotta pee! I was amazed. I couldn't believe he actually did this on the first day trying. But why do I keep getting surprised?

So we had our little celebration, but the best was when we rejoined the girls and he got huge cheers from all them. What fun!

No comments: