Sunday, December 19, 2010

Not the Weekend I Signed Up For

Christmas is less than a week away. Yesterday was going to be my big prep day - wrap presents, make a few gifts and just get organized.

That all changed.

I've been feeling on the verge of being sick for several weeks. I would feel icky and then it would go away. I just wanted it to be done. This week it seemed to finally be coming out as I had a pretty good cold. Friday night, following a Christmas party, I had a sudden and severe onset of chills. I crawled into bed and kept turning the electric blanket higher and higher. I couldn't feel the heat of it and I just couldn't get warm. Through all this I had no fever. At midnight I rushed to the bathroom and threw up - a lot. (And the other which shall not be named.)

Wow! My chills were gone. I felt so much better. I was finally able to get warm.

I didn't sleep very well and went to the bathroom again at 4am. I could tell I was feeling pretty weak and tried to rush back to bed. That's where it all went downhill. I passed out and hit my head pretty good on the wall corner. I was carrying a bowl (in case I threw up again) and I think hit my mouth on the bowl on my way down. I just laid there hoping that either Jim heard and would come help, that Josh might wake up which would wake up Jim or that I would just regain my strength to get back to bed.

Jim did hear the crash (which apparently freaked out our cat too) and came to help. As he was helping me back into bed, we discovered the plastic bowl I was carrying had been obliterated. Hopefully I wouldn't need to throw up again. We were amazed that Josh didn't make a peep since this all happened right outside his door.

I was able to sleep for the next couple hours and then Jim and I debated about going to Urgent Care or the Emergency Room. I was most concerned about my ear which was in so much pain. I was worried something had ruptured. Jim called my primary doctor's office and once they heard I had passed out and hit my head, the recommended the ER.

So off we went to the ER and luckily no one else was waiting and I was in a bed within 15 minutes. I had blood taken, fluids and pain medication pumped in me and a CT scan. The scan came back fine and just showed a contusion (bruise). The doc said the vomitting etc was from a bacterial infection from my sinus issues earlier in the week. We were home by noon and after some lunch I slept most of the time until 6:30 this morning even though fighting a fever for most of it.

This morning seems to be the start of a good day. No fever and I feel alive again. My jaw and ear still really hurt. I miss Josh and hope to be able to spend a little time with him tonight.

And through it all, Christmas creeps ever closer.

No comments: