Saturday, March 17, 2012

Leaping Language

Watching Josh's language skills grow is one of my favorite things these days. It's amazing to hear new words he's learned and also to hear him say a word wrong for so long and then suddenly says it perfectly right.

Here's a list of some of my favorite mispronunciations of Josh:

Lunch Fries = french fries

Pway = Pray (it's just great to hear your kid initiate prayer)

Poke-a-Pot = Polk-a-Dot

Elalee = Emily

These last two will make me sad when he says them right. Sometimes it's hard for me to say them right because he says them so much and it's so danged cute. I'm thinking of changing Emily's name to Elalee because I love hearing him say it.

Forming sentences is another fun challenge to watch. My favorite is:
I may excused get down = May I be excused (from the dinner table)

He is very much in a repetitive stage of speech. He will say the same sentence over and over and over... "Josh play with the cups in here. Josh play with the cups in here. Josh play with the cups in here. Josh play with the cups in here. "

Usually he can be stopped by just repeating what he is talking about. "Yes, Josh is playing with the cups in here." He likes the acknowledgment. But it doesn't work every time.

We are trying to help him understand the differences between "you", "me", "I" and "Josh". Like he'll say "Mama hold you" when me means "Mama hold me". I know this is a huge concept to learn and I totally see how the confusion happens. But it's great when we hear him say it right.

No comments: