Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The BIRDS!!!!

Josh is ever increasing his stores of energy and Jim and I are trying to find new ways to keep him entertained. My friend Melanie suggested I get a bird feeder so that when he is in his playpen by the sliding door, he can watch the birds. She said her daughter loved it.

So Memorial weekend Jim hung the bird feeders.


We filled it with feed specifically designed for songbirds. I thought it would be a nice change from the squawking crows (hopefully). I secretly feared that it would attract more crows.


Jim filled up the feeder and then we waited.


It took several days for the birds to find the feeder. The most amazing part was that it was on a day my cats ran outside for the first time in months. Bailey refused to come back, so I just let him stay out there for about five hours. I was excited to see a bird at the feeder and then shocked to see Bailey laying near by just watching.

Over the next few days, I noticed a few more birds finding their way to the feeder. What shocked me most was when I left for work one morning with the feeder half full...

And came home to it looking like this:


Empty. Decimated. Ravished.



The carnage was appalling. And the mess beyond forgiveness.



The number of birds in our yard has seemed to increase almost every day. Should I be concerned? How many birds are going to come? What is this going to cost me to keep them fed? What have I gotten myself into? I'm having horrible Hitchockian nightmares.

Although, despite the aftermath, I have truly enjoyed the singing of the birds. So, I acquiesced and refilled the feeder.

And as I was cleaning things up outside, I started to get an eerie feeling. I could sense the rising tension of the birds waiting to feel safe enough to descend on their refreshed feast. I really wanted to capture pictures of them, so I settled into a chair and waited.

The birds waited too.


And they started to increase in number.



So close, yet so far away.



They came from far and wide.



And finally swooped in.

I think this is the guy from the wire.



We got a hummingbird feeder too, but I have yet to see a hummingbird. I know they're around because I have seen them from time to time. Hopefully they will find their beachy resort.



And the poor cats...

So close, yet so far away.

UPDATE: When I wrote this post yesterday, I had filled the bird feeder in the late afternoon. I came home from work this evening and the feeder is already EMPTY!!! BIRDS!!!!

2 comments:

Dad said...

Well done!!
Beautifully told!
Good pix as well.

Elizabeth B said...

You have to tell me where you got the feeder and food. That sounds great!