Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Watermelon Quest

I haven’t really had any cravings. But when I think of something I want, I gotta have it. Gotta make it happen.

If anything has come close to being a craving, it would have to be watermelon in the last two weeks. I love summer because I really do like watermelon. It is the perfect, juicy, sweet, refreshing treat for a hot summer day.

About two weeks ago I bought a wedge of watermelon from the grocery store. I cut it up into chunks, threw it in a bowl, and Jim and I devoured it. Yum! Yum!

A few days later I decided to buy a full watermelon so that it could last a few days. This melon, from Fresh & Easy, had to have been the toughest piece of fruit I have ever tried to cut in my life. Just getting the first cut through the mass was a monumental feat of its own. But the task was accomplished and I threw all the pieces in a container. I was surprised and a little concerned that there really wasn’t any juice on my cutting board. Tasting the fruit only confirmed my fears – it was DRY and bitter and gross! Blech!

This past weekend I bought another wedge. Now we’ve gone to the other extreme – overripe, over-juicy, over-icky. It was edible, but not the perfect watermelon I had been seeking.

I was getting desperate.

Today we had a potluck with some girls at work to celebrate a birthday. I signed up for fruit – still needing my watermelon fix. I went to a farmer’s market type of store as they usually have better fruit. I bought a full watermelon and strawberries (I wanted raspberries too, but they were incredibly expensive). Last night I cut up my much anticipated watermelon…and…

DING! DING! DING!
WE HAVE A WINNER!

I just stood in the kitchen eating my wonderful watermelon. I probably could have eaten the whole thing right then and there. But I didn’t. I told Jim I was sorry to inform him that I was leaving him to marry watermelon. There is nothing like satisfying a long-suffering need.

Now, please excuse me, I’m off to spend some one-on-one time with my watermelon.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Wonderfully written.
I love watermelon, too, but ...
it is so rare to get a good one.
Glad to hear that you did.
Dad